Monday, July 18, 2016

I did NOT Google it.

This summer I am working to create a storage space in our attic. Much to my surprise when I opened the descending ladder hatch door we had paid a handyman to install there was an electrical cable right across the opening, making the opening useless.

Well, I always have wanted to get better at doing work around the house and I've always wanted to tackle some electrical work, so I figured I could learn to do the work myself.

So I started learning.

But I didn't Google it, or Youtube it.

Now if you know me that might seem strange. I am a big proponent of the idea that between Google and Youtube you can learn just about anything.

So why did I head to my local hardware store and ask questions there? Why did I go to my Dad and ask his advice from the many projects he's done over the years? Why did I go to my friend who is an electrician for advice?

The problem was, I didn't know enough. I knew so little about doing electrical work that I didn't even know what questions to ask. I had no background upon which to draw from. Without that background I couldn't formulate questions that Google or Youtube could answer.

The same holds true of how we educate our children. They must still be taught a solid background knowledge that will give them enough information to begin asking the right questions. There is still a place for us to be teaching content in our schools. Our children need a broad knowledge base upon which to build.

The bigger challenge is exactly what content is critical?


Oh, and my electrical work. Well, I had to rip out everything I did and do it over because I made so many mistakes the first time. But that is content for another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment